Monday, January 6, 2020

Hurricane Katrina

The feelings that overwhelm you when you hear of a state of emergency in another state are of such sadness for them but you become so thankful that it is not happening to you and you begin to pray. I knew of the devastation that Hurricane Katrina had done to New Orleans and my parents were ones who had come afterwards to help in the rebuild of the Gulfport area with a young adults mission trip.
This morning we visited the Presbytere which is in the French Quarters.

The opening of the museum set the stage for you to experience the moments as they happened to the people of New Orleans. The news cast of the weather was on the television and I felt as though I was on my comfortable couch eating my dinner watching the news with the anticipation of the storm coming in. My heart was beating fast and I even felt the anxiety as though I was reliving their fears. The further you got the worse the weather was getting the the louder the sounds of the storm over the speakers could be heard. As we turned the corner all you could see was water everywhere, winds blowing everything over, cars in the ditch. The sounds were loud crashing waves of water, and the whistling of very fast winds blowing so fast that there was no way that anyone could be in this storm and survive. If you closed your eyes for just one second you could only imagine what the people of New Orleans were thinking. Praying for their lives as Hurricane Katrina was taking everything they owned and possibly worked hard for.




As we sat and listened to the stories of those who were saved by heros who were risking their own lives to help others I had a lump in my throat as I fought back tears hearing the cries for help of those in need. To hear this man tell the stories of his heroic measures that he took to put himself in harms way to help those with whom he didn't know gives this world such hope.

 If you can imagine having to see garage doors with spray paint written out with how many dead bodies how many dead animals and instructions on what to do and not to do with them.
Things that were found floating in the water were children's teddy bears, outfits, and shoes of children. So many belongings that the people had lost that we all take for granted.









No comments:

Post a Comment