Thursday, January 9, 2020

How has the city spok to me through Music

New Orleans has spoken to me through its music. I absolutely love listening to music and music has been something that has been in my soul all of my life. When I was young I started loving music because parents were very much into listening to music, especially my father. Jazz music is the kind of music that when it plays you can feel it deep down in your soul.
As I have walked the city of New Orleans I have heard to many styles of music, so many genres of music along with so many different people playing the music. There were even young children playing on top of 5 gallon buckets with drum sticks practicing throughout the streets and they were having a great time making a little bit of money for themselves. One of my favorite experiences was the day that we stopped to listen to our tour guides cousin play. As we walked up she was finishing a song and immediately smiled as we came upon her and recognized Milton (our tour guide, her cousin) he introduced us all and she decided to play something special for us. When the Saints go Marching in.
The start of the song was light and as it began to accelerate my body began to react. As you could see the sun was shining and it was absolutely beautiful weather but the hair on my arms was standing up as high as it possibly could as she hit those notes on her clarinet as high as they would go. The raw talent or this family and you could see that music was inside of her. The pure talent and the love for the music and to entertain makes the people in the streets want to stop and listen. Yes you see the buckets and some would see this as panhandling but I see this as tipping a great waitress who has given you amazing service. Going to see a concert and paying hundreds of dollars to be entertained, what is the difference because the pure talent is just on the street as you shop, as you have lunch, dinner or drinks. This is a city of raw talent, they aren't hiding behind something that makes their voices sound better or acoustics that enhance anything that they are playing this is the talent that God has blessed them with and what a beautiful gift that is.


New Orleans speaks to everyone at some point through its music. I would have to say that it spoke to me in different ways. As I visited the Jazz museum music spoke to me historically. The early start of Jazz in NOLA began with Charles "Buddy" Bolden. Buddy was a cornetist who's music became legendary throughout the dance audiences (especially at funky butt hall). After Bolden, bands competed for the "ratty" music market.
Bands became popular which included string bands, led by violinists and by the turn of the century both brass marching bands and string bands were predominant. These usually contained a cornet, clarinet, and trombone with a section of guitar, bass, and drums which made for much more excitement. Walking the streets of NOLA you could find all kinds of musical entertainment which could be one solo singer or musician to an entire band.
One thing that I did learn on this trip was that Louis Prima is the one who sang the famous song in the movie The Jungle Book "I wanna be like you (The monkey song)" ! I had absolutely no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment